Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Countdown begins!!

Hello my fellow 7's. I hope this message finds everyone doing well. This is my next blog before I head to the beach for a couple of days.

As many of you know, we have had some rain and lightning as of late. The forcast for tomorrow is 30% chance and I am still considering heading out. I'm not worried about the rain...it's the lightning. Nevertheless, my sweet Ms. B. awaits.

You know, life is far too short. I heard today that one of my old bosses passed away recently. So, I will tell my story of him because it kind of makes me smile. This story revolves around my first encounter with him during an interview for a technical position.

Many people have some really strange hobbies. In this case old Ralph had a doozie! All in all Ralph was a good guy and had the best of intentions. So this is my tribute to him.

The story goes like this... I wound up getting this job. I had absolutely had no clue what I was doing, but old Ralph let me have it anyway. Ultimately it lead to other opportunities due to some good level of success, once I found out what I was doing!

Ralph was an interesting man. He calls me into his office one day for the "I want to let you get to know me" one way conversations that most managers have when they get a new person. He asked me about myself, about family, about careers goals etc. Once the general canned conversation he asked me about my hobbies. As soon as I opened my mouth, Ralph cut me short.

He started telling me about what he enjoyed doing. In this case he judged show chickens. Being the consumate redneck I sat there listening about how he had traveled all over and how people in the "show chicken" business were always after his services. This went on for quite sometime. Still, I sat there appearing to listen . All the time I am waiting and formulating my response for when there was abreak in the action.

Ralph always started his day with a honey bun and a Coke from the vending machines. So, as Ralph is talking and eating, I am waiting for that moment when I get to hit him with my response. Bear in mind... Ralph had this thing on his desk called "The Shaft". It looked like an old worn out crankshaft that had been used in many new guy conversations. Ralph went from " yea I really am in demand as a judge" to " if you aren''t the one giving the shaft, you get the shaft!". I got to tell you... my head was spinning by this time.

So I said " How do you judge them? By taste?" Without missing a beat Ralph continued on his own dissertation. I was floored that he was so absorbed in himself...
Rest in peace Ralph... you were a good man!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
    themotorbiker blog

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete